Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Launching "Afghans for Oaks"!


Not too long ago, I was talking to my pastor’s mother after the morning worship. Both she and I knit and our conversations usually involve some sort of knit or crochet component. What projects we have going on, what we finished and things of that sort. She had mentioned that she made afghans for the Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home in Monticello, Arkansas. I really didn’t think much more about other than that would be a neat thing to do. 

The thought of making an afghan for one of the kids there stewed in my head for quite a while. I had been crocheting prayer shawls for congregational members when they’ve been ill but I wanted to add to my knitting and crocheting ministry. So, I was about to begin an afghan for a child at Vera Lloyd’s when it suddenly hit me. There’s a place in my own synod where there is a need. Oaks Indian Mission. So, now we have Afghans for Oaks.

Oaks Indian Mission is located in Oaks, Oklahoma and is a home for Native American children who can no longer remain in their present environments. The staff provides a caring and supportive environment for them to grow and succeed in life. They have a maximum capacity of 45 but currently have an average capacity of 35. To learn more about this great organization, go to their website at oaksindianmission.org.

I’m inviting the knitters and crocheters of the Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod and beyond to take part in and donate an afghan for a child living at Oaks Indian Mission. My goal is to have 45 afghans (one for every child plus a few extras for possible intakes) in time to give as Christmas gifts for this year. If you are like me, afghans can be a little slow coming off the hook so the goal may have to be adjusted since I am launching this so late in the year.

There will be more information to follow. Feel free to email any question to me at AfghansforOaks@comcast.net

Peace be with you,
Casey Neeley

No comments:

Post a Comment